Beechworth (Asylum 1867-1905; Hospital for the Insane 1905-1934; Mental Hospital 1934-1970's; Mental/Psychiatric Hospital c.1970's-ct)
Beechworth Asylum was opened in October 1867. Its proclamation as an Asylum was published in the Government Gazette on 1 October 1867 under the provisions of the Lunacy Statute 1867 (No.309).
the hospital operated for nearly 130 years until its closure in 1995.
GHOSTS OF MAYDAY HILLS
*Ghost of a man standing in front of a group near the cellar completely vanished like the darkness took him away.
*Matron Sharpe who spent most of her life there has been spotted on occasion.
*Doors swing open.
*Mysterious screams are heard.
*A glance out of the Cottage windows around dusk may reveal an old man in a Green jacket, wandering around the Vege garden. It could be that of Arthur the gardener.
*woman photographed standing at the window from which she was thrown.