THE DUPLEX POLTERGEIST - 2001

Like many young couples with a new baby, Sheri and her husband just wanted a nice home for their growing family. They thought they found it... until a series of terrifying events drove them away and they learned of the building’s horrible secret. This is Sheri’s story.

In July, 2001, four months after the birth of our son, my husband and I decided it was time for a bigger apartment. Through an Internet search, we found some apartments to look at, but when we got to the building, there no one was in the office.

As we were leaving, we noticed there was a duplex across the street for rent. We pulled into the driveway to check it out. As it turned out, it was perfect for our little family – exactly what we were looking for. This was in Richardson, Texas, not far from Dallas. We planned our move for September.

The Voices

Before we had even moved all of our stuff in, I noticed strange things happening, but I always tried to explain them away. The first incident was the day we received the keys. My husband was at work so I went over to the duplex with my son in tow to clean the place before we started moving everything over.

I put a blanket down for my son in his room and lay him there with some toys to keep him busy while I cleaned. I vacuumed the living room and then went to check on my son. He had fallen asleep, so I cleaned the kitchen. I noticed there were all kinds of dishes in the cupboards; I just figured the previous tenants had forgotten them, so I put them aside so we could give them to the owner. Then I went back to the bedroom and saw that my son was still sleeping soundly and figured I had just enough time to clean the bathroom before he woke up for a bottle.

While I was cleaning the bathroom, I could hear muffled voices, as if two people were having a conversation somewhere in the house. I checked our bedroom, my son’s room, the living and dining room, but of course my son and I were the only ones there.

I just figured it must have been the people next door. Just then my son woke up, so I gathered up our things and we went home. Little did I know that stranger things were in store for us.

The Toys

We got moved and settled into the house and nothing else happened until after my son's first birthday. My husband and I were in bed, and my son was in his crib in his room. I had the baby monitor on and I heard my son moving around like he was about to wake up. I sat up and listened, and sure enough he woke up screaming like he had had a nightmare.

I went to his crib and tried to comfort him. I tried everything, but he would not stop crying. I took him into our living room to rock him back to sleep. A few minutes later, my husband came out into the hallway and asked what I was doing. I told him I was trying to get the baby back to sleep and he said, "Playing with his toys is not going to put him to sleep."

I asked my husband what the heck he was talking about.

"You left the monitor on and I keep hearing all the toys go off," he said.

We both went into our son’s room to find the toy that my husband was hearing, but to our surprise every single toy was in the off position. We turned to go out of the room and my husband turned off the light. At the exact moment that the light cut off, three of my son’s toys switched on – lights flashing and music playing. My husband quickly hit the light switch again, and as soon as the light came on, all was silent.

He went back and checked all the toys again. The switches were all still in the off position. We were pretty freaked out, so we left the light on in our son’s room and went to our bedroom.

The Crucifix and More

After that night, our dogs would stand in the hallway and bark into my son’s room, yet they would never go in it. Even if I stood in the room with their box of treats, they would just sit in the doorway and stare at me.

Other little things happened every now and then. The miniblinds on the windows would bend down as if someone were looking out them. Dark shadows moved across my son’s room when there were no lights that would cause such shadows. Objects would inexplicably fly off the shelf in the hall closet. We would hear scratching noises that sounded like they were coming from the inside of the water heater, which was in a hallway closet.

This all became so disturbing that I decided to hang a crucifix on my son’s wall. Every morning when I would go in there, the crucifix was turned around with the outside of the cross facing the wall.

Then one night my son fell asleep early, so I was lying in bed watching my husband play a computer game. We had the monitor on in case our son woke up. I fell asleep but not long after woke up to my son moving around, whimpering like he was about to cry.

I started to get up, but my husband said, "No, stay there, see if he goes back to sleep."

So I lay back down, and sure enough my son went back to sleep and slept through the night. The next morning I asked my husband why he told me not to get our son and how he knew he would go back to sleep. He said, "If I tell you this, you can’t get freaked out.

What He Heard

"If I tell you this, you can’t get freaked out," he said.

I said okay. "Right before the baby woke up,” my husband told me, “I heard a voice whisper on the monitor, ‘Go ahead!’"

Well, even though I promised my husband I wouldn’t let it freak me out, I did get scared, and from then on our son slept in bed with us.

After that incident, my husband and I each had eerie experiences at night. We would be awakened from sleep by someone whispering in our ears.

At this point, we wanted badly to move, but couldn’t break our lease. Then things started getting worse.

The Smell and the Cracks

We began to smell a rotten odor throughout the whole house. At first I thought it was something in the trash, but the smell only got worse when my husband took it out of the house. Then we thought perhaps it was the garbage disposal, so I poured bleach down it. That didn’t make the smell go away either.

It almost smelled like an animal or something had died and was rotting. We complained about it to the owner, so he had someone check out the attic. They couldn’t find anything. We cleaned the entire house top to bottom and started using air freshening plug-ins to cover the smell. Nothing ever made it completely go away. Remember, this building was a duplex, and the odd part was that no one could smell anything in the adjacent house.

Then we suddenly started noticing cracks appearing in the walls over doorways. The owner had someone come check out the foundation, and as usual the guys could find nothing wrong with it; they had no explanation for the cracks. Also, no cracks appeared in the walls of the adjacent house.

The Truth About the House

We were finally coming up on the last month on our lease and I was very much looking forward to moving. I broke the news to the next door neighbor that we were moving and she asked why we weren’t renewing our lease.

"You are going to think I am crazy," I said, then told her all about the strange things that had been happening to us.

She didn’t say a word when I was done with my story. "I knew you weren’t going to believe me," I said, and turned to go inside.

She stopped me and said, "I’m not supposed to tell you this, but someone was killed in there."

I was a little surprised to hear this, but found out from her that three years before my husband and I rented the place, a teacher lived there with her male roommate. One night the roommate got into an argument with the woman, strangled her and then committed suicide.

The owner cleaned the place up, but couldn’t rent it because every time he had told people what had happened in there, no one wanted it, which was his excuse for not mentioning it to us.

What was in that apartment? I believe that the spirit there was a good one as I never felt like I was in danger, only a bit scared or freaked out by it all. I think maybe the spirit was just trying to communicate in some way. My husband thinks that she was trying to play with our son as the toys always went off by themselves, whether or not their switches were turned on.

In any case, my husband and I were so glad to be getting out of there. We just left and never looked back.



Recent Forum Posts